Thursday, July 07, 2005

A very rare Thursday indeed....

I did say before that I hate Thursdays because I did say in my previous post: "I guess knowing that this day is a day before the day before the weekend makes me yearn that the day is over and it will be the weekend again"...

But this Thursday is different, I actually put on my YM status: 3 cheers for Thursday!!! which elicited quite a lot of remarks from my friends online. My main reason is that Buds and I will be going to Anilao tomorrow and we'll be together until Sunday. My second reason is that Buds and I will be going to Anilao tomorrow and we'll be together until Sunday. READ AGAIN: It was not a typo, those are the two reasons I have why this Thursday is not incoherent but a great one!


Badjaos

I went to Naujan, Oriental Mindor last Friday and I felt a pang of sadness seeing these people beg for money. Young, old, infant and a family, they shouted "tapon or hagis" asking for boat passengers to throw them a coin and then dive for it in the murky, polluted waters.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com



I remember attending an indigenous peoples' conference and feeling awe and respect for those who have cultures that city dwelling people do not have. However, seeing how the passengers treat the Badjaos begging at the pier made me mad, confused and feel a sense of loss. Some passengers were disappointed that their coins landed in the boats instead of in the water and exclaimed "Sayang!". I don't see the point why it's a waste if you made it easier for a person to receive your "donation".

These women could be one's grandmother. Would you ask her to dive for coins?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com


Enough of this angst... I am supposed to look forward to a great weekend and I will!

Have a nice weekend everyone. Live, love but most of all BE SAFE!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home